What fools we mortals be
Modernity and post-modernity. Learning to be honest with ourselves. We are so “full of ourselves.” Full of shit, more like. We like to think ourselves as “smarter than the average bear.” Hubris.
My dad had a grade eight education, while I did thirteen years of (a combination of full- and part-time) universary – fourteen years if you count Normal School. I learned different things than he did, but I am no smarter than he was. Here is the Bullitt County, KY garde eight exam:
This part of the test was administered by the teacher.
- Write in words the following: .5764; .000003; .123416; 653.0965; 43.37.
- Find cost at 12 ½ cents per sq. yd. of kalsomining the walls of a room 20 ft. long, 16 ft. wide and 9 ft. high, deducting 1 door 8 ft. by 4 ft. 6 in. and 2 windows 5 ft. by 3 ft. 6 in. each.
- A man bought a farm for $2400 and sold it for $2700. What percent did he gain?
- A school enrolled 120 pupils and the number of boys was two thirds the number of girls. How many of each sex were enrolled?
- How long of a rope is required to reach from the top of a building 40 ft. high, to the ground 30 ft. from the base of the building?
- How many parts of speech are there? Define each.
- What properties have verbs?
- Diagram: The Lord loveth a cheerful giver.
- Parse all the words in the following sentence: John ran over the bridge. Helen’s parents love her.
- “William struck James.” Change the Voice of the verb.
- Define longitude and latitude.
- Name and give the capital of States touching the Ohio River.
- Name in the order of their size the three largest States in the United States.
- Locate Erie Canal; what waters does it connect, and why is it important?
- Locate the following countries and which border each other: Turkey, Greece, Servia, Montenegro, Roumania.
- How does the liver compare in size with other glands in the human body? Where is it located? What does it secrete?
- Define Cerebrum; Cerebellum.
- What are the functions (or uses) of the spinal column?
- Name the organs of circulation.
- Describe the heart.
- Name five county officers, and the principal duties of each.
- Name three rights given to Congress by the Constitution and two rights denied to Congress.
- Describe the manner in which the president and vice-president of the United States are elected.
- Give three duties of the President. What is meant by the veto power?
- What is a copyright? Patent right?
- Who first discovered the following places: Florida, Pacific Ocean, Mississippi River, St. Lawrence River?
- Name the last battle of the Civil War; War of 1812; French and Indian War and the commanders in each battle.
- Who invented the following: Magnetic, Telegraph, Cotton Gin, Sewing Machine, Telephone, Phonograph.
- Describe the Battle of Quebec.
- Give the case of the War of 1812 and name an important battle fought during that war.